HAPPY & BEAUTIFUL 2023!
I cannot believe how the time has flown !
How was your 2022 ? I hope a happy and healthy one.
And to celebrate the New Year, I have collected 23 Big Reasons why Britain is Best from our UK wonderful trip back in autumn.
Yes, I may be biased, growing up in England, but I hope you enjoy our treasure trove of golden memories and glittering highlights. Enough to warm the heart of any Anglophile, in or outside of the UK.
So here we go!
Drop me a line to tell me about your fondest memories of Britain. I would love to hear them.
1. Elegant College Style.Whether in Oxford or Cambridge. Just love it!
Our first stop in England. The Cambridge University shop!
2. Where dressing up is a passionate British pastime
All dressed up and some place to go! Namely the Goodwood Revival 2022!
3. Cosy creaky pubs
The Bear in Oxford and the Royal Standard of England
4. The best breakfasts and cups of tea
Yummy breakfast at the Hartcourt Arms Oxford
5. The best design and designers
During the London Design Week at Chelsea Design Centre
Meeting one of my favourite designers Emma Sims-Hilditch during her talk and patterns galore!
6. Movie locations everywhere you look
The Kings Arms where Four Weddings and a Funeral was filmed
Shibden Hall the home of the infamous Anne Lister
The inside of the 'Jolly Boatman' aka The Crown also filmed for Four Weddings and a Funeral
Instantly recognisable as Brideshead Revisited and Castle Howard
7. Unforgettable characters
Back to Anne Lister (there's a new series called Genteman Jack. Check it out if you havn't seen it) and the wonderful Rose expert Michael Marriott whom we met in Ludlow
8. Beautiful architecture from heritage to high-tech
A lost place at Castle Howard
9. Good weather, be it rain or shine
The haunting erieness of Whitby Abbey
10. That Harry Potter feeling wherever you go
The Shambles in York and The Great Hall feeling at Oxford Balliol College
11. Gardens that captivate
12. Curves in all the right places.
Sezincote House, Thirsk, Bath Circus and Radcliffe Camera, Oxford
13. The best Doortraits
Bumble Bee Greetings in Ludlow and Robin Hood's Bay
14. James Herriot (All Creatures Great & Small)
At the James Herriott Museum in Thirsk
15. Rooms with a view
Our countryside room in Thirsk
16. Colour Confidence!
Yorkshire Colours, Clementines Hotel, Castle Howard and Happy Colours at Whitby Bay
17. Picturesque seaside towns
Breezy walk in Whitby and Sandsend
Whitby at the 199 Steps and Robin Hood's Bay
18. The best humour in the whole wide world!
Cow Musings and Sheep-ish Goings-On in Yorkshire and the Grantham Arms
19. The most beautiful libraries
Castle Howard and Chatswoth House
20. Cinemas that serve you in your seat!
Everyman Cinema in Altrincham, Cheshire
21. Old meets New
Chatsworth always does Old-New SO well
22. People & Places you can’t help but fall in love with
The Midland, Manchester, Grantham Arms, Yorkshire, The Shaven Crown, Pannett House, Whitby, Clementines, York
23. A Longing to return
Our window cabin on the way home
Happy 2023 was first publlished here on www.graceandholmes.com
All photos my own.